Sometime you just need a break, ya know? It’s so easy to get sucked into all the day-to-day stuff, the schedules, the meetings, the things that HAVE to get done, that it’s easy to forget that sometimes you just need some ME time!
I’ve been part of a girls-night-out (GNO) group for a little over a year now, and it’s SO amazing that I want to tell you all about it, so you can create your own versions!
One of my amazing girlfriend’s came up with this idea, and invited eight people to be a part of it. There are two rules:
1) You don’t talk about Girls Night Out.
Wait. That’s my other club. Let’s try this again.
1) You show up. It’s once a month, on a set night, and we all commit to being there and participating… even if it’s out of your comfort zone.
2) Each person is assigned to plan a month’s get together, come up with the activity and arrange the dinner. The idea behind the activity is to offer something that will allow us to stretch our boundaries, and give us experiences that we wouldn’t otherwise have.
The result has been amazing! One thing that has made our group as strong and tight is NO DRAMA! We are all very supportive of one another and always focus on lifting each other and allowing everyone to feel comfortable and be themselves. No judgement.
Here are some of the things we’ve done together…
- Shooting Range- I’ll start with this one since it’s I picked that picture to show above. That’s me, with my long hair and my pink gun. Well, it wasn’t MY gun, but I were going to have a gun, it might be pink. I was a little nervous, but then I ended up really liking it and I actually have pretty good aim!! If there ever is a zombie apocalypse, I can nail those suckers. As a side note for anyone that tries this- the shells from the bullets fly out and can land down your shirt and they are hot as hell. It IS possible to get burned that way. Just a little FYI.
- Hiking to a Yurt (a big tent-like teepee) for dinner!
- Boating- A little sun, a lot of water, a day of FUN!
- Sundance Movie Viewing- Since we live so close to Park City, one of our girls arranged for us to be able to attend a viewing of Very Good Girls.
- Sleepover PJ party in Park City- This was awesome. One thing we did was to write a goal we wanted to have accomplished by the end of the year on a little note to ourselves. Then we sealed them up in a box to be opened at the first of the year. It was such a creative way to get us to focus on accomplishing something we really wanted! (What I put on my card was… to FINSIH MY BOOK, which I did!)
- Learn to arrange orchids- We had an expert show us how to arrange these beautiful orchids and each took home what we made.
- Cooking Class- We attended a cooking class to learn how to make this unbelievable Italian food. We even made homemade pasta!
- Tantric Connecting- This was for valentines and we invited our men to join us. We had an energy reader and expert in guiding meditations come and teach us how to achieve a deeper connection through these meditations and ways of communicating. It was fascinating!
- Thanksgiving- We had a big thanksgiving meal catered at one of our homes, and we each prepared a few words on what we appreciated about our significant others.
- We did a breathtaking hike up a canyon and dutch oven dinner- YUM.
- Boudoir Shoot by the lovely Melinda Jae Photography. This was a really fun night. We had a Mama Gena’s expert come to teach us about loving our bodies and embracing our own beauty. She taught us how to OWN our bodies. After some champagne and wine to get us more comfortable, we each had a private, tasteful boudoir shoot! It was so liberating and fun.
- For the holidays each year, we draw names and set a spending limit, and then at our dinner, we each say a little something about the person we drew for.
- We also do a GIRLS TRIP once a year. Last year we went to St. George and had a weekend of poolside fun with beverages that inspire awesomeness. I’m sure none of us will forget it!
- Tomorrow we are going on a Zipline Tour with six different ziplines, and then out for sushi! I’m really excited! I can’t tell you how much I look forward to seeing these amazing women and participating in our awesome group!
Don’t you kind of want to be part of my GNO!? Well, you can’t. BUT you could start your own! We use a facebook GNO group to keep everything together, and we regularly text each other on a thread during the month to check in and give each other updates/support/funny pictures. I am so lucky to have connected with these amazing women! It’s such a fun group because we are all different, coming from diverse backgrounds, and each balancing careers or passions with our roles as mothers. It’s really important to be conscious of the people you allow to be a part of your life.
I had always wanted to be part of a Girls Group and I’m so glad I was asked to be a part of this one! They are all amazing! Hopefully this post has your wheels turning. You can put a group like this together!
1) Pick awesome women- the most important part is to pick people who will be respectful of one another. Drama or cattiness = your group will implode
2) Get firm commitments
3) Have a set schedule
4) Utilize each person’s unique skill sets to come up with creative ideas, and support one another.
You can make it happen!
I would love to hear about what you come up with! And if you have any ideas that have been awesome for your GNO’s, feel free to leave them in the comments.
Everyone needs a night out… create yours!
See ya Friday!